Novel Word Count:
Although we are not going to eliminate anyone w does not match the below, we recommend you try to follow as closely as possible the suggested word-count. The to – from word-count is a guide only and takes into consideration genre variations (for example fantasy genre novels tend to be on the longer side).
ADULT: 70,000 – 115,000
NEW ADULT : 60, 000 – 90,000
YOUNG ADULT: 50,000 – 80,000
MIDDLE GRADE: 25,000 – 45,000
- Don’t be vague! (remember the slush readers and mentors know NOTHING about your story).
- Proof read your pitch! (Mistakes could cost you a spot)
- Get others to read your pitch! (Just like you have beta readers for your story, you should have them for your pitch too).
- Make the stakes clear and non-generic. (End of the world/death of MC are becoming a bit overdone).
- Don’t introduce too many character names.
- But make sure you introduce the MC’s character name.
- Avoid questions in the pitch – statements are much stronger. Example: Can Mariah save him before he’s turning into a rabbit. Mariah has to save him before he’s turned into a rabbit.